Beauty is being proud.
Celebrating Pride marks the experiences, achievements and challenges of the LGBTQIA2S+ community. Every year, people from all around the world take part in Pride to publicly acknowledge what we have always known – that all humans are equal. That said, we recognise this does not paint the full picture.
Pride is more than just rainbow-washing a logo, making an annual donation, or sponsoring a parade float. Our fellow LGBTQIA2S+ humans still face many issues, including higher rates of suicide, homelessness, mental health issues, and more. This is why our commitment, both within the DECIEM family and our wider community, is a long term project. Over the coming months and beyond, DECIEM will be working on a number of projects to ensure the work we do celebrates and continues to advance the causes of this community.
Our commitment includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Strengthening existing partnerships with organisations like San Francisco's The Transgender District and New York City’s BTFA Collective. This has already included both financial support and in-kind donations.
- A $70,000 donation to nine organisations across 2 years.
- The establishment of an LGBTQIA2S+ employee resource group.
- Sponsorship of the Korea Queer Culture Festival and The San Francisco Queer Nightlife fund in support of the work they do within their local communities.
- Dedicated Pride flag signage displayed year-round across DECIEM stores and offices, declaring these areas as safe spaces.
- Gender pronoun badges that store teams can choose to wear.
- LGBTQIA2S+ inclusivity training, and an internal programme of speakers and dedicated content to support the DECIEM team across the year.
- Pride activations and store initiatives according to locally-scheduled celebrations and events.
- Paid time off for the DECIEM team to volunteer and protest in support of LGBTQIA2S+ rights.
- Internal education pathways and resources to self-educate on days of significance, including Trans Day of Remembrance Lesbian Visibility Day, and International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.
With hope and courage that things will get better,
The DECIEM team ❤.